Toyota diagnostic software Techstream: Mini VCI vs. VXDIAG VCX NANO Toyota vs. Mangoose Toyota
1. Xhorse Mini VCI Cable
Original Xhorse MINI VCI has newer firmware 2.0.4. But you can’t buy a real one any more. The real Xhorse one is out of production. You can still find 2.0.4 clone on the aftermarket.
Version 2.0.4 will connect and read codes. It is very slow.
2. Mini VCI Clone
Many of us have gone with using the Mini VCI cable with Toyota Techstream software, and it’s mentioned as an improved variation on this theme. Need a PC or laptop.
– Cheap Xhorse-made knock-off
– Latest Techstream v13 (till April 2019)
– High reliability using SMD chip, and certified by CE and FCC
– ALL communication protocols supported for Toyota (1996 – latest):
K-Line ISO 9141/KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4/SAE J1850 PWM/SAE J1850 VPW/CAN 2.0B ISO 11898 /CAN ISO 15765-4
The knock off cables use 1.4.1 or 1.4.6 (latest). The “real” cables use 2.0.1 or 2.0.4 (latest). They are all fake of course but the good fakes use the same firmware as the real Xhorse cable. The 1.4.1 firmware does not support active tests. The cable will work on 10 year old Toyotas like some in the GS forum have said but they will not work on the 2011 Prius as some on PriusChat said.
3. VXDIAG VCX NANO for Toyota
The VXDIAG VCX Nano uses it’s own firmware. It connects and reads codes much quicker than a Mini VCI cable.
its worth an additional 50 dollars for the VXDiag version.
– better hardware design than mini vci and Denso IT2
– multi-system: WINDOWS XP and Windows 7/8/10
– multilanguage: Chinese, English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, ect.
– 12V and 24V communication
– model: diagnostic test for heavy truck and diesel models till 2016
– VCX is a standard Passthru programming tool, which can do online ECU programming
4. Mongoose for Toyota
If your budget extends to $495, you can buy a Drew Technologies Mongoose Pro, which is a unit actually tested by Toyota and officially supported for use with Techstream. If you are looking to spend less, go for mangoose MFC clone cable for Toyota. It uses different driver as mini vci but function the same.
Different cables use different drivers
Mini vci/mangoose clone cable is more suitable for the green hand to do basic diagnosis
VXDIAG NANO for Toyota at a reasonable price, is the best choice for individual users and professional repairing men with better hardware design and powerful function (ECU diagnosis & programming, key programming).